Friday, March 5, 2010

The photo wears Prada

For most photographers selling work is a struggle. Here's an idea off the top of my head. What about a designer line of photographs?


Instead of hanging prints on a blank white wall, why not hang them near a fancy sign that says Yves St. Laurent or Louis Vuitton?


I'm telling you those signs are friggin pheremones for disposable income. I have no idea how they work but they do. You wouldn't believe the crap those signs sell.

Put a product by itself in a display case. Maybe it sells or maybe it doesn't. Now put the exact product near a Gucci sign and triple the price, and you just made bank. It's like black magic, and if it can work for handbags why can't it work for photographs?


Of course there'd be some licensing issues. No big deal. I'm sure something could be arranged once the fashion world saw how mutually beneficial this could be.

Now I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, Blake, you've got a good thing going with the kitchen mixers. Why mess that up? To be honest, I've felt for a while that kitchen mixers aren't a good fit for my photography. I think I might be more of a Prada guy.

See what great ideas come up when you stare long enough at a blank white wall?

3 comments:

bastinptc said...

If we could make our work edible, we could still get a good price and people would be willing to pay. After all, folks think nothing about dropping enough coinage at a restaurant to buy a print or two, just to shit it out the next day.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Blake. Nice way to begin the weekend chuckling.

Blake Andrews said...

Binh Danh makes photographs out of leaves by exposing them to sunlight through the screen of a negative. I don't think he's used this for edible plants yet but I don't see any reason it couldn't work. Presto, edible photographs.